Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Stay On the Hash Mark – Joseph's Persepective


My first experience playing on a full contact, tackle football team was after I became a police officer. The event was a one game “exhibition” between police officers and firefighters. There is, in fact, a rivalry between the professions. For example, some would suggest that God created firefighters so police officers can have heroes too! I confess that I did enjoy the television show Emergency growing up, but on to football!!!

Until this game, I never wore a helmet or pads. Most of my teammates played in high school and college. I got a crash course from my “cop coaches” on tackling, where to get set on the line of scrimmage and what my responsibilities were on the field. I was a defensive end and part of Special Teams – Kickoff Coverage.

For Kickoff Coverage, my instructions were to line up on the right hash mark. The expectation was specific, “No matter where the guy with the ball goes, stay on the hash mark.” Why? Because players that chase the ball carrier are out of position when the receiving team pulls a reverse or sweeps from one side of the field to the other. When I stood on the field for my first ever tackle football play, I repeated the phrase, “Stay on the hash mark. Stay on the hash mark. Stay on the hash mark.” over and over in my head. 

Kickoff!

I begin to run down the field as the kickoff returner caught the ball near my hash mark. He promptly runs in the other direction. My inclination was to run towards him but, “Stay on the hash mark,” keeps me true to my job. I run another 10 yards, the kick returner reverses and runs towards my side of the field.

“Stay on the hash mark.” “Stay on the hash mark."

He continues running past the center of the field.

“Stay on the hash mark.” “Stay on the hash mark.”   I say in my head a little faster.

He turns up field ON MY HASH MARK!!!

Now it's just the two of us. The kick returner is taller than me (I am 6’ 2”), a faster runner and experience. He fakes left, then right. I tackle him in the open field. UNBELIEVABLE! I made a play the first time I stepped onto a football field because I listened to the instructions to stay on the hash mark!.

So what does this have to do with Joseph? During Christmas, I think about what it was like for people who found themselves in the middle of the events surrounding the birth of Jesus. Joseph was willing to, “Stay on the hash mark,” even when things in his life did not happen as expected.

Joseph was engaged to Mary which is the equivalent of actually being married in the Jewish tradition of the time. Mary was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit. This would be grounds to break the engagement but Joseph did not want to expose Mary to public disgrace. He decided to divorce her quietly. Before this happened, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”(Matthew 1:20-21) Joseph did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife.  

“Stay on the hash mark.”

Now fast forward to the birth of Jesus. Joseph leaves his home and travels to Bethlehem. Mary gives birth to Jesus and three wise men show up at the stable and give him cash and prizes! He goes to sleep to rest up for the trip home when a second angel appears to him in a dream and tells him, “Get up, take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him.” (Matthew 2:13) Joseph gathered his stuff, his wife and his new born son and took off for points south. He stayed with his family in Egypt until King Herod died.

“Stay on the hash mark.”

Years later, an angel would appear to Joseph a third time in Egypt to tell him to return to the land of Israel.

“Stay on the hash mark.”

A journey of faith sometimes requires us to hold to the promises and directions from God even though at first glance might not make sense. We are called to stand firm in faith.

2 Peter 1:10-11: "Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."

Joseph would be leaving for Egypt soon. Where is God calling you to go with the new year a week away?  Is there a person you should reach out to? Is it time to volunteer to lead a Sunday School class? Maybe it's time to forgive and extend grace to a person who did you wrong. Post a response for how I can pray for you or send me an e-mail at: michael.j.aspland@gmail.com

Blessings in the New Year!

FYI - We did beat the firefighters.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Perfect. 'Stay on the hash mark." Love God, love others, Stay on the hash mark.

Got it. Now, to not get distracted by the different turns that take place in pastoring a church. Stay on the hash mark Love God. Love others.

Thanks Mike!