Saturday, February 4, 2012

Press Hard, Three Copies


Proverbs 18:2, “Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions.”

I think this verse should be printed on the bottom of every citation issued for traffic violations. The kinds of excuses people come up with in the attempt to get out of a ticket are endless. You could probably recite them as well as I could. I remember giving an elderly woman ticket for speeding and her parting comment to me was, “I hope your grandmother gets a ticket today!”

If you’ve never gotten a traffic ticket, you should know that the citation has three copies: one to the violator, one to the issuing law enforcement agency and one to the court. “Press hard, three copies,” is a typical instruction given to a violator, especially when they want to argue with the officer at the driver’s side window. Signing a ticket is not an admission of guilt. If you refuse to sign, you go to jail.

I think issuing traffic tickets is like working as a sales associate. You make the pitch, overcome objections, close the sale and get the signature on the contract. Ok…I admit that I have a 100% close rate without trying but I always try to get a “Thank you” with every citation. The “Thank you” is my customer satisfaction measure of success.

I use a reverse fast food approach when writing tickets. Instead of asking the Up Sell question, “Do you want fries with that?” I point out all the traffic violations the person committed (there is always more than one) when I stop them and explain, “I will only write you for one.” This approach generally diffuses the tension and makes it a little more palatable for the violator. I am guided by Proverbs 15: 1, “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.”

I once spotted a guy speeding down a residential street and in catching up to him, watched him run a stop sign. This conversation followed:

“Hi, I am Officer Aspland. I stopped you for speeding.”

“Yes, I was going too fast.”

“You also ran the stop sign back there before I pulled you over.”

“Yep, I did that too.”

“I’ll tell you what. I will only write you for one, you pick.”

The guy looked at me a little confused and asked which one was cheaper. I told him the speed violation. He thinks for a moment and says: “Ok, write me a ticket for speeding … What am I saying!” I wrote the citation and when I gave him his copy he said, “Thank you … I guess.” Another satisfied customer! (Proverbs 16:24, “Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.”)

Romans 13 talks about governing authorities and some suggest it’s the police officer’s creed, “Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities exist because they have been established by God…For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended.” My job is to hold people accountable for their actions while finding the balance between justice and mercy. I recognize that how I do my job is a testimony of my faith in Jesus Christ.

“May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us; establish the work of our hands for us – yes, establish the work of our hands.” Psalms 90:17

What passages from scripture guide you when you are at work?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

CHP pulled me over last year for texting. I told the officer "Technically, it was an email, but I didn't finish it!" He smiled and asked if I wanted a ticket. I told him I was due because I've been texting since the law went into effect and hadn't been caught yet. He made me promise not to text anymore, and I still think of him every time I think of reaching for my phone. Traffic cops are just people like the rest of us. I love this blog!!!

Anonymous said...

Years ago our neighbor turned the wrong way on a one way street. When the officer pulled him over he frustratingly asked, "Didn't you see the arrow?" Darrell replied, "Gee, I didn't even see the Indians!" The officer walked back to his patrol car laughing. No ticket.

Anonymous said...

my husband absolutely LOVES that you blogged this today! ima go to court tomorrow to "fight" a ticket I deserved . . . when I got my ticket, the cop said, "now, this isn't an admission to guilt, blah blah blah . . ." and I went, "ya, ya . . . get me out of here . . . I hope you're sick on February 6, 2012 . . . I can't afford this!!! I was speeding safely, wasn't I? I just stood out in the crowd because of this refrigerator I'm hauling, and you know it . . . he laughed . . . we'll just see if he cuts me a break and turns up "sick" tomorrow. If not, I throw myself on the mercy of the court for speeding SAFELY in front of that total speed trap between la conchita and sandyland! wah! =.....[ mercy, mercy on the poor, indigent missionary!

Anonymous said...

About age 19, I was falling asleep at the wheel on the way home to Ojai one night. I was pulled over for drunk driving, but explained that I had been burning the candle at both ends. The officer said, "I don't need to tell you how dangerous this highway is. One of these days, you are going to burn that candle right to the middle." He put away his ticket book, and followed me for several miles till I was safe in my driveway. I didn't stop my ridiculous hours, but I carried a pillow and sleeping bag after that. I have never forgotten the father/son moment I had with the officer.