Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Courthouse

1 Peter 3:15 “But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect”

It is amazing to me how God works through events and circumstances. If we are open to His call, we can be present at amazing moments of faith. They won’t be reported in the news or in church bulletins, but these moments are so significant that they change lives forever.

In 1994, I began teaching Introduction to Criminal Justice at Westmont College in Santa Barbara. This was a very cool opportunity as I graduated from Westmont in 1986. Since my expertise was in policing, I made it a practice of asking friends from other criminal justice disciplines to share their perspectives with my students. Class started at six in the evening and I would meet guest speakers at a local restaurant to share a meal before we headed to campus. I had no idea that one particular dinner would lead to a life changing moment. I would experience how God works through us to share his grace and peace.

Greg was an attorney working for the county prosecutor’s office. I met Greg when I appeared in court as the investigating officer for a misdemeanor, criminal case. Greg was new to the office and, after working with him, I felt he would be a great fit for the class. When the time came to talk about the court system, Greg agreed to speak and I agreed to buy diner. We met at Peabody’s Bar and Grill and the meal went as it usually did. We talked about family, careers and mapped out the presentation he would give in class. Greg asked me about Westmont College and I told him that the school was a Christian college and I was a graduate.

The conversation took a very different direction when Greg began to ask questions about the spiritual realm. Good and evil, angels and demons. The dialogue ranged all over the subject. After a time, Greg shared with me a personal experience he had with the spiritual world. He was trying to make sense of it. The conversation gave me an opportunity to share about what the Bible said in the context of Greg’s experience. I was also able to share a few significant moments in my life related to the spiritual encounters. I talked about how we are under the protection of the Holy Spirit through Christ’s death on the cross. It was a great conversation and shortly after that we headed up to campus. Greg did a fantastic job with the class and I looked forward to having him back a second time.

A few days later, I was back at work on patrol. As I was driving my police car past the courthouse, I saw Greg walk out of the building. I pulled to the curb to thank him again for speaking.

Greg and I spoke very briefly when Greg said, “Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure.”

“I want to become a Christian and I don’t know how to do it.”

It was not the question I was expecting. In fact, nothing like this had ever happened to me before.

So here was the situation: I was sitting in a police car. Greg was standing on the sidewalk in front of the courthouse asking me how to accept Jesus into his life. What to do?

I picked up the radio and requested a lunch break. My request was approved (as if there was any doubt). I parked my car and we walked to a garden area on a quiet corner of the courthouse grounds. To anyone who walked by, it appeared that a police officer and an attorney were discussing a criminal case. There was so much more going on in that moment. I prayed with Greg, shook his hand and went on with the day. I was humbled that God would work through me and it all started with an invitation to speak to a college class on criminal justice.

3 comments:

Rori said...

Mike, This is such a cool story in which God meets us and uses us in every day situations. Thanks for sharing and encouraging me to be open to the Holy Spirit and to run with him when the opportunity arises.
Rori

MJA said...

Thanks Rori! I appreciate the feedback.

Brother Tom said...

God is good!!!