Sunday, June 12, 2011

Speeders

In Matthew 5: 14-15, Jesus calls us to be the light of the world. At work, we accomplish this by doing the best job we can, recognizing that our faith shines in our performance. Our willingness to bring our best creates opportunities to share the hope within us that surpasses all understanding. In this story, what started as a citizen complaint about speeders became the foundation for a friendship and a reconnection to Christian fellowship.

In my role as a police executive, I am called on to meet with community leaders to talk about criminal activity, public safety and community policing. In 2004, the police chief asked me to meet with a neighborhood association president to talk about traffic safety concerns. This particular neighborhood president had a very “persuasive” personality and was rather persistent when he wanted to discuss important issues impacting his neighborhood. President Bruce (no connection to the shark but he is an attorney and an accountant) and I met at a local café to have a cup of coffee and talk about the issues.

Bruce got right to the point about traffic safety in his neighborhood. He had detailed statistics on traffic accidents and citations. He presented his own analysis of all the data. I offered my insights from a police perspective explaining the difference between perception and actual safety issues. We discussed the concerns and ended the meeting understanding the level of service the police could provide. I gave him a business card and told him to contact me directly when he had issues to discuss.

Bruce took me up on my offer, and over the next three years, I would get an e-mail request or telephone call for a meeting every three months or so. The café where we first met became our conference room. As time passed, we began to get to know each other. We talked about our families, our life experiences and how we viewed the world. A professional relationship became a friendship. We joked about this because I figured that since he was going to keep bugging me for meetings, we might as well be friends!

In 2007, near the end of summer, Bruce and I got together for our quarterly update. I don’t remember what the public safety issue of the day was, but toward the end of our meeting, Bruce said that he had something personal and important to ask me. His tone and manner were very serious. This dialogue was very different than any of the previous meetings.

He began by complimenting me on being a “man of faith.” He then shared that he wanted to get reconnected to his faith and he asked me for advice on the best way to do it. I did not expect that question. Over the years, I told Bruce that I was a Christian and went to church. It was more informational than anything. I am not one to push what I believe, but I make no secret that I am a follower of Christ. Bruce saw something different in me and trusted me with where he was in his spiritual journey.

Here is the best part. I was leading a weekly bible study at lunch and looking for people to join the group. This gathering of men was for the the purpose of checking in with one another over a meal and to discuss a passage of scripture. I told Bruce about the group and invited him to participate. He agreed. We continue to meet every week and Bruce is one of the most consistent members. For Bruce, it started with a complaint about speeding cars, the persistence of a lawyer and a willingness to ask for advice. For me, I showed up to the coffee meetings and God took care of the rest!

5 comments:

Donna Kacerek said...

What an example of how God works in our lives in order to spread the"GOOD NEWS"to others.
Donna Kacerek

Joanne Wakelee said...

I love this! It is so affirming to me to see how God works in our work lives, and how HE calls us to serve Him in so many wonderful ways. It is all about relationships with those around us and being real to others. Thank you! I especially needed to read this at the end of a busy school year. Blessings to you and your wonderful family!

Dave said...

Mike, what a true-to-life witness this is and a model because so often we Christians can get in the way of our witness by promoting ourselves instead of the One who is in us and worthy. As you humbly state at your conclusion you faitthfully showed up and let Him work through you. Very cool. Makes me miss our time together at SCC Men's Team.

MJA said...

Thanks to all of you for the encouraging words.

Steve Pendleton said...

One at a time, by love, grace and humility. Yea Jesus!