Saturday, October 15, 2011

You Can Ask For The World - People Might Just Say YES!

A big part of law enforcement training focuses on the rights of individuals. The right of unreasonable search and seizure, the right to remain silent, when we can detain, when we can arrest and so on. There are always new laws and court decisions that redefine what probable cause means, what constitutes a waiver of rights or when a search warrant is necessary. It can be a challenge for a street cop to keep all of this in mind when standing on a street corner at two in the morning, trying to figure out the legal basis to search a suspected drug dealer in a high crime area. For every law or court decision there are always exceptions. The big exception is to get permission. I tell new officers all the time: "You can ask for the world, people can say 'no'."

I have made more arrests than I can count asking (and getting) permission to search a jacket or a car or a motel room. In fact, I am still amazed that a suspect with a pocket full of dope would give me permission to search. I always ask the question, "Why did you let me search you when you knew you had drugs?" The response: "I didn't think you would do it."

As Christians, we have a training manual for living out our faith. In the Book of Matthew, Chapter 7: 7-8, Jesus says, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; and to him who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." This is the reverse of a crime fighting strategy. Ask, seek and knock for the Glory of God - Not to search and arrest!

This past summer, my family and I traveled to Big Bear, California to visit a niece and her husband. We arrived on a Saturday for a four day visit. The couple live in a beautiful home (10,000 square feet!). The property is enormous. It was our first visit and I was amazed that when we drove into Big Bear, I could see the house from across the valley! They have five dogs, three horses, two chickens, a cat and who knows how many rabbits. They also rent a room to man named Kenny. 

Kenny is one cool dude. He is tall, skinny, soft spoken and sports a long, white beard. Not Santa Claus style but rock star style. Kenny was a long haul truck driver and got sidelined by a stroke that took part of his vision. He was from the south, but somehow ended up in Big Bear, living on a couch in a trailer. He responded to an ad for a roommate from my niece and now gets room and board in exchange for working on the property and helping out around the house. I enjoyed meeting Kenny. We talked about his life and his adventures on the road.

After dinner we made plans for our visit. My niece told us that they started attending a neighborhood church and invited us to go along. Margie and I thought it would be great and I turned to Kenny and asked, "You want to go to church with us to?"

"Sure." Kenny replied back.

My niece jumped into the conversation saying, "You never went with us before!"

Kenny looked back and said, "You never asked me."

Turns out that Kenny had not been to church in decades. He was concerned that lighting would strike as soon as he walked in the door. I told him not to worry, with his long, white beard, I would introduce him as Moses and tell the congregation that he would part Big Bear Lake after services. We shared a good laugh.

I sat next to Kenny at church the next day. Watching from the corner of my eye, I was blessed to see him pray and sing. When church was over, I asked him what he thought. He said it was great and continues to attend today. 

I did not have to ask for the world, I asked if he wanted to go to church. Kenny said yes. 

1 comment:

Brother Tom said...

I wonder why Christians are so afraid to ask sometimes. Why am I afraid? I'm going to keep my eye open for the Kenny's in my life.