Saturday, October 22, 2011

You ARE The Pronoun


One of my responsibilities as a deputy chief is to work with members of the United States Army Garrison - Presidio of Monterey. I am part of a team that develops multi-jurisdictional exercises to prepare military and civilian personnel to react, respond and recover during disaster events. This past year, I helped plan a regional, full scale earthquake drill for the Monterey Peninsula. The event happened last month on a day when I was returning from a conference in Maryland. That is probably why the drill went so well.

It turns out that the planning group I worked with got nominated to receive an award for our efforts. My Army buddy told me to show up for the award ceremony and said it was, “No big deal.” Turns out it was a bigger deal than he let on. I was the only non-military civilian receiving recognition. I was dressed in Friday casual and, looking around the room, Friday casual was a little too casual. Good thing I had a suit coat in my car to put on for the presentation.

A Colonel presented the awards and before he handed them out, he shared a few words with the group. He said that we ARE the pronoun when people talk about the great work that THEY do at the Presidio. It does not matter the role you have in the organization, we are all part of the THEY. I had never thought about it that way before.

I find it entertaining when people complain about THEY. You know: THEY made the decision to cut overtime. THEY don’t give us credit for all the work we do. Why aren’t THEY doing anything about it?

I suppose the good thing is the people I work with are willing to tell me what THEY do. I point out that THEY is me because I am a member of the command staff. What follows is a quick back pedal to assure me that THEY does not include me. Confused yet?

This got me thinking about who THEY are in the church. In 1 Corinthians 12:27, Paul says, “You are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.” In Ephesians 2:19-22,  he writes, “…you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.”

My take away is that we are the THEY in the church. It does not matter what branch: Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Calvary Chapel or Shoreline Community Church in Monterey, California. It does not matter where you serve: pastor, priest, Sunday school teacher, worship leader, choir member, parking lot guide, hospitality coordinator or janitor. It matters that when people reach out to you, you represent THEY in the body of Christ.

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” Jesus – Matthew 5:14-16

2 comments:

Brother Tom said...

Great one.

Anonymous said...

I told you to wear a tie ding-dong.