Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Director


A few months ago, I was invited to meet the Director of the FBI. It turned out that I was the only second in command participating and I found myself in the company of police chiefs, district attorneys and department heads. I wore my best suit, white dress shirt and conservative tie. I arrived at the meeting and was ushered into a small conference room that had 15 or so chairs around a table with additional seating along the wall. I took a chair against the wall near what I thought was the back of the room with a group of FBI agents. 

Minutes later, the Director walked through the door nearest to my seat. So much for staying out of the way! We sat down and the Director asked for everyone to introduce themselves, the agency they represented and what FBI National Academy class they attended. He started with the people sitting at the conference table and then moved to those of us sitting along the walls. Looking in my direction where I sat with other FBI agents he said, “I already know all of you,” and passed me over!

HEY!!! I got left out! Here I was all ready to tell the Director of the FBI who I was and he skipped me! My ego was hurt for a moment and I realized that I was, after all, part of a small group that got to spend time with the top law enforcement officer in the United States. He would likely not remember me anyway after he left the room.

The briefing lasted for about 40 minutes and when it ended, an aide to the Director asked if he had time to take photographs. The Director said yes and people began lining up. I waited in line and stepped up for my turn. I extended my hand and the next thing I know, the Director takes a firm grip and pulled me in close. He looked at me and said, “Don’t you work for me?” The Director thought I was an agent stepping in for a picture at a time intended for police chiefs.

“No Sir, my name is Michael Aspland and I am a Deputy Chief with the City of Monterey Police Department.”

The Director looked intently at me for a moment still grasping my hand and said, “I’m sorry. I thought you were one of mine.” Well how about that! I was mistaken for an FBI agent by the Director himself.

The experience got me thinking about my relationship with God. God knows me by name! His Son died on the cross for my sin! His Spirit dwells with me always! The same is true for you! Consider these versus that give us confidence that God will always know us by name, care for us and will dwell with us forever.

Psalm 55:22 “Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.”

Matthew 10:29-31 “Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.”

Luke 11:9-10   “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.”

John 10:14-15 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep.”

Revelations 2:17 “Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give that person a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to the one who receives it.”

2 comments:

Brother Tom said...

Grateful for God's knowledge of my life. Totally gives me strength to keep moving forward and to enjoying His love today. Thanks Mike!

Anonymous said...

I usually don't think of God as REALLY loving me personally, and tell people I'll be glad to be in the 43rd row of heaven's choir.
But I was recently reminded of all those pesky parables about the value of an individual lost sheep. Quiet, humbling joy. Mike, thanks for the reminder! Scott L.