Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Depravity of Man and The Power of the God


Romans 6:23, “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

John 1:5, “The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.”

Twenty-four years of being a cop exposed me to the evil that men do in ways I could never imagine. I witnessed firsthand how selfish choices driven by addiction, greed and rage destroyed the lives of the innocent. I did not fully understand what this meant until the day I responded to a 911 call to investigate an overdose death in Santa Barbara; and in a moment of heartbreak, I also saw how the Power of God will triumph over evil.

The death happened in a one bedroom apartment on the east side of town. I arrived at the complex and walked into what amounted to a 600 square foot living space; through the front door, down a short hall way, passing the bedroom and bath. The hallway opened to an area with the kitchen on one side and a couch and workbench on the other. The dining/living area was separated by a wood framed, cloth screen. It seemed odd that such a small area was separated by the screen. The body was lying on the floor of the living area between a couch and a workbench.

In the workbench was drug paraphernalia, syringes and other evidence that indicated sales of narcotics.  As I searched through the house, I figured out why the apartment was divided as it was. The dead man had two daughters (6 and 8) and they lived with him. They were at school when the overdose happened. The dad used the living area of the house to deal and use his dope. It was also the place that he slept. The single bedroom, bath and kitchen area were for the girls. Their room was equipped with a bunk bed, TV and VCR, children’s books, board games and all their clothes. It was like there was a studio apartment set up inside of the one bedroom space. I found out that the girls were not allowed in the living room area of the apartment to keep them “safe.”

I could not fathom why a parent would subject his daughters to such dangerous living conditions. Buyers would show up at all hours to get drugs. I imagined that at night, these little girls would not feel safe in their own home because strangers would be coming and going, preventing the girls from sleeping in safety. At least there was a lock on the bedroom door. Parents can be so overprotective.

I noticed the girls' school photos hanging on a wall. My heart stopped when I looked at the pictures. They were beautiful young ladies but did not have the appearance of healthy 2nd and 4th graders. They looked ill at ease. They appeared haggard, resigned to a life of uncertainty, stress and fear. Home was not a safe place for them. It was their eyes that got to me. They had puffy, dark circles under their eyes from very little sleep night after night. I had seen those eyes once before. They were my wife’s.

Early in our marriage, Margie told me stories about her growing up in a home defined entirely by alcoholism and violence. Her school pictures from kindergarten through fifth grade all had the same look: the same puffy, dark circles under her eyes and the same face of sadness. Margie talked about the drunken brawls, the police responses, the strangers in and out at all hours of the day and night. I just did not comprehend the impact of such a life on a 6 year old little girl.

I went home that night and told Margie about my day. We talked about how Margie would sleep in her clothes so she was always ready to take action. She would hide under her bed or behind and armoire so she would feel safe. Margie is quick to point out that God was with her through all of this. In fact, He told her to move to California many times during her late teens and early twenties. She listened and escaped to her promised land on the west coast. She would accept Christ and be baptized three months after she arrived in California and a few years later a life insurance salesman would knock on her door. She did not buy insurance from him, but she did marry him!  (Yes, I got the better end of the deal on this.) March 4th will mark 23 years of marriage for us and we have three beautiful daughters. We are blessed.

I pray now and then for the two little girls I met briefly in front of an elementary school. I do know that Margie is a testimony that even in the total depravity of human beings, when it appears that one little girl growing up in the 1970’s and two little girls growing up in the 1980’s would have no chance, the Power of God triumphs over evil and brings light into a dark world. 

Matthew 19:14, "Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.'"

No comments: